Friday, November 30, 2007

Week 7

Damn...forgot my book bag!

Oddly enough I’m chomping at the bit* to get back to class this week. Missing a week is like torture for me (god I’m sad – but hey at least i'm keen!). I’m not even worried that I have to give my presentation. I’m fully prepared since I have been practising on the girls teddies over the holidays, one got detention, and the rest a pat on the back for doing well. (I suppose at this point you think I have gone completely mad, but bare with me I’ll come sane again soon).

So after kicking off from the stalls and racing to school I sat down to a lesson on Gender differences in education and the underachievement of boys. Lets face it boys, girls are beating your arses at school these days! So stop styling your hair, rearranging your jewellery and get past the metrasexual urges, start studying to get those grades up again! (Obviously this is my own personal thoughts as to why boys are underachieving and there are of course many other factors contributions towards it)

After revelling in fellow female success, we moved onto a questionnaire about our own experiences at primary and secondary school. We were asked if boys and girls were separated in any classes throughout our schooling…as far as I can remember this was a huge no for me, but found the rest of the girls around my table had experienced some form of separation during Maths and in particular physical education. For some reason they had rather sexist teachers, who would absolutely not let girls play football and basketball and boys could not play netball and hockey. I recall the boys in our school never volunteering to play netball, as they were all trying to be macho, which looking back now is laughable as they were all weeds! But they were never stopped if they wanted to

Another interesting question that cropped up was what types of games we used to play at Primary school and did boys and girls mix? A lot of girls wrote kiss chase, so I suppose the boys did play although probably not voluntarily. My childhood games were of course British bull dog! - You must remember that one? – I don’t know any kids that hasn’t played that game at school…excluding possibly children now days since teachers believe it’s too rough, but what’s a bloody nose and a few bruises to the entertainment of the whole school. It was of course a game of pure brawn and weeds didn’t fair off so well, which is probably why we were so keen to make it to the top class!**

And finally the lesson ended with the hidden curriculum, which was quite a shock to some of us as we were still trying to work out what was on the unhidden curriculum? I’ve narrowed it down to Science, English, Maths, Geography, History, Art, Music, DT, IT, PE and some sort of foreign language, which I believe up here is French and/or German so my limited Spanish is all but useless,.

*So is it chomping or champing at the bit? I remember having a debate with someone about this and don’t recall a conclusion, if there was one? We may have both given in to each others stubbornness by saying we were both correct?

**A surprising thought that just occurred was my glasses never broke while playing this game; maybe my parents had some merit in making me wear unbreakable plastic blocks?

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online