Sunday, November 11, 2007

Birthday Cakes

One thing I really enjoy about upcoming birthdays is making the cake, but recently I think that sparkle has gone (the picture evidence is conclusive enough!)

I put it down to not having the correct equipment (my own fault as I haven’t gone out and bought an icing gun and accessories), but I think it’s also down to the Superstores selling tasty, smart looking novelty cakes for under £10!

The girls are now at the age where they are beginning to challenge me (much like we challenged our mum years ago) to make all sorts of wild and wonderful cakes. This year Rebecca asked for a “My Little Pony” cake (her choice not mine!) and with a little improvising I managed to produce this…

I know it’s not great, but with a bit more time I could have turned it into something fantastic, since the inspiration was there, with the squirty cream hair and clever use of manufactured icing flowers - Rebecca was happy with it so that all that counts really. (Dan commented on what the pony’s name was…thinking fast I refused to comment as I would be forever mocked for knowing it…Its “Posey” if you really are interested).

Now it’s November and Katie’s birthday has sprung up on me. Two days before her birthday she asked me for a plane cake. That evening I set about making a sponge, cut it into shape, then with a bit (well a lot of) jam I glued it together and covered it with a tiny piece of rolled icing. By 11pm I was getting tired and losing my patience with the tail flap that wouldn’t stay on, so gave up and went to bed leaving it like this…

In the morning Katie commented “Wow an aeroplane!” which thrilled me as she could at least recognise it, but then lead to me to wonder that maybe when she said plane she actually meant plain? Sigh…oh well I will persist and complete this disaster.

By the next afternoon my patience was at an all time low and…yes you guessed it I went out and bought one, although I couldn’t find an aeroplane so went for her next favourite thing Bratz (personally I hate these creepy looking dolls – I may have mocked Barbie’s Movies, but at least she looks human…in her anorexic, blonde bimbo kind of way)
She was of course thrilled by the Bratz cake and the aeroplane…well that turned into a plane crash.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online