Sunday, November 25, 2007

Week 4

and..our Physics teacher stinks!

Beginning to get more confident about going to class this week, and feeling bad about missing last week, I promised myself I would contribute to discussions today. Although that went straight out the window when the aims were written on the board…Identify perspectives on learning, the behaviourist approach to learning and the humanist approach to learning.

It would appear everyone had been told last week to read up about this before coming in. So I did what I’m good at…sitting, writing notes and nodding my head in agreement or disagreement with the class. I did however get a chance to speak for a moment, as we were asked to state our worst subject in secondary school, why we disliked it and what factors contributed towards the experience.

Mine was Physics and was mainly due to the teacher! He didn’t give any assistance when struggling; although we never wanted him to since he had atrocious personal hygiene!

Before I continue any further, I should state this was not during the time Tim Cotter was teaching us Physics, as he was actually a good teacher and even though I had that blank expression on my face Tim, I was taking some of it in, or at least I hoped the head nodding would show I was still awake (or nodding off?). Although I could indirectly blame you for my bad experience of Physics, since it was your fault for resigning before I completed my GCSE’s and the school replaced you with the worst teacher in the world!

Anyway where was I…oh yes the appalling hygiene – Fellow classmates tried giving him hints by leaving a bottle of “head and shoulders, anti dandruff” shampoo on his desk. I still have no idea what he did with the bottles (and frankly don’t want to know!), but knew he never used the shampoo for washing! And he most certainly had no idea what deodorant was! Hell…the toilets in the boys cloakroom (don’t ask how I know that!) smelled better!

He couldn’t control the class and more often than not we would be doing our homework from other classes during his lessons. The lessons were dull as they were taught in a monotone didactic style, so if you’re not aiming at a career in engineering then your attention is hard to hold in physics anyway without making it drearier!

It was basically an awful two years of Physics lessons and I’m sure I only scraped a D because I remembered everything from the previous 3 years with Mr Cotter, that and forced myself to open a GCSE Physics book – Trust me this is surprisingly hard for a 15 year old adolescent, who had little to no interest in wanting to become either a Physics teacher or Engineer!.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The only way to make physics interesting is to be shown the formula for time travel, then use it to get to the end of the lesson quicker.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the day I called him a fat, smelly bastard and he threw me out of class and gave me 200 lines, "I must not swear at the teacher"? Then the bloody pig chucked them in the bin in front of me.
Nyree

Time Travelers Wife said...

Yes I do - unfortunately all those physics lesson are embedded in my brain and I have to drink to stop myself having nightmares...well I think that was a good excuse to drink anyway - lol!

blogger templates | Make Money Online