Monday, November 26, 2007

Week 5

Even though I reached the bus station 15 minutes before my bus was due, I still ended up waiting 30 minutes before departing for Cosham, and consequently ended up being 10 minutes late for college. To make matters worse, when I reached the hidden crèche classroom it was empty, although further investigation revealed a note on the white board saying “We have moved to H block room 52”…great!

I have been to H Block before (sounds like a prison doesn’t it?), as this is where I had my first encounter with the “Spagnets”. It’s only just across the path, but room 52 is situated at the top of this 4 story building, that appears to have been built before humans got lazy and lifts were invented, as it only harbours a half meter squared dumbwaiter and I’m confident it’s not worth trying to squeeze in there!

Stumbling through the door and gasping for breath I was now 20 minutes late for class. Fortunately…so was the tutor, as she strolled in two minutes later. While she got organised she asked the class to state “What motivates us in the mornings?” since this would lead nicely into the lesson on Motivation in Education (sounds catchy, but don’t be fooled by it rhythmic lyrics – it’s a tangled mess of drive, humanist, behaviourist, cognitive and attribution theories – Doesn’t sound so attractive now does it!) Most people were quite serious and philosophical with their “I want to make a difference to the community” and “I want to prove to myself I can do it” speeches. Others said they just want to be teachers. It was soon my turn and I squeaked “I just love to learn!” since I was still gasping for breath and it’s actually the truth - I can honestly say I’m buzzing with excitement two days after lessons. (I hope it’s not just a novelty and will wear off with time).

We were shown 5 different theories of motivation and stressed to read up and compare at least two of them, since we will need the evidence and knowledge for our 3 hour written exam on “Motivation theories” in January…yikes! (This worries me a bit as we are not allowed computers, which I reply on for spelling and grammar checks plus can easily cut and paste sentences to make them flow better – Odd that I don’t use these functions to clean up my blogs then?)

After a few handouts on more motivation theories it was time for us to give our presentations. (Sorry I forgot to mention this - Last week we were tasked with creating a 5-10 minute presentation to perform in front of the class) I’m shaking with excitement or is that fear? Either way it didn’t matter as we ran out of time and a few of us were told to wait until next week to give ours. This of course would turn out to be two weeks later as the next week was half term and everyone in Education was on holiday…nothing like prolonging the torment!

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online