Monday, October 02, 2006

Tall Ships of Stanley

Here is a maritime theme with more pictures of Stanley through the ages.

I stole this one from my 2006 Calendar by Tony Chater.* (A local photographer who lives on New Island, which is said to be THE beauty spot of the Islands. After seeing his pictures, throughout the years, of his calendars I would probably have to agree, although reserve judgement until I visit the magical Island). This is alleged to be the earliest local photograph in existence dated 24th February 1881.

Lady Elizabeth

The view is quite different today with about 15 ship wrecks scattered around Stanley Harbour. Only a few are still intact - the Lady Elizabeth and Jhelum being the most noticeable, although the Jhelum has broken her spine and is unlikely to hold together for many more years!

The FI Government recently commissioned the dismantling of the “Charles Cooper” due to hazardous lumps of wood breaking free and floating East towards the Port and Tourist ship tenders! This was sad to see as she was quite a spectacle in her day…that and a hundred Rock Cormorants (Known as “Shags” by the locals – Not sure why? But will share the information when/if I ever find out!) are now looking for new homes.

The names of these vessels are lost in my mind somewhere – If anyone recognises them please feel free to update us via the comments

Endeavour

We do receive tall ship visits occasionally. These are always popular with the locals who flock to the sea front to get a better view (I always find this amusing as some people have better views from their windows on the hill!)

I have to admit we made a special effort to meet the Endeavour, but she is a Historical Legend! The tour aboard was great and very interesting, although I couldn’t see myself volunteering to sail aboard her, like most of the crew at the time. I have never been on a ship for more than a few hours and felt my stomach churning even then!

Wonder why I married a sailor? Maybe sea sickness is something you have to beat out of yourself by going to sea for a week? I will let you know if it works – Might even try the carrot test since I’m going to spew anyway – What we do in the name of research!

*These can be purchased through the Pink Shop by clicking on the Falkland Islands Web page link to the left of my Blog. (I should demand sales fees for this!)


0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online