Monday, September 18, 2006

Why do we hate Mondays?

The morning starts with a bang…well more of a BUZZ, BUZZ from the alarm clock screaming in my ear. I shove the button quite hard to express my displeasure at being woken up in such a manner.* I lie back down and look at the ceiling for a few minutes contemplating if anyone would miss me today? Just then Becky staggers in “Mum I want breakfast!” (I’m sure she isn’t even awake! – I’m certain she has a pre-recorded message embedded into her brain that is set to go off as soon as her feet touch the floor). On that note I drag myself out of bed, throw some clothes on and hit the button on the computer, as I pass to go to the kitchen.

Becky has already seated herself on the Budweiser box ** so I pat her on the head, say “Good morning” and continue into the kitchen. I grab her breakfast and make a bottle for Sarah (I figured she’ll be hungry since she didn’t wake at some silly hour this morning!) I go back to the room and check the emails…all junk – nothing new there then! I click the screen off and head for Sarah, who is starting to stir now.

When I walk over to Sarah’s bed she grins and flaps her arms and legs vigorously. Sarah is always pleased to see a face in the mornings – It must be torture being stuck in bed (Yeah torture! I think to myself sarcastically). I give her the bottle and go across to Katie. Apart from a few strands of strawberry blonde hair poking out of the duvet she is buried under the covers, so I shake the lump that I believe to be Katie.

As the monster under the covers stirs I open the curtains and get some clothes ready for after breakfast*** I bravely peek through the bars of the bunk bed to see if the monster is awake, she half opens one eye, has a big stretch, sits up and climbs out of bed. Her feet hit the floor and guess what? “Mum I want breakfast!” – I know its amazing isn’t it!

I get Kate her breakfast, dress Becky and get Sarah out of bed, now that she has finished her milk, and dress her also. Katie is good in that she can dress herself so I now have time to get a snack for school and pack the bags for the childminder. At this point I should mention this is a typical day in our house…and it isn’t even 7:30 – Where is my nice warm bed!?

I consider it a good day today, even with the 3 inches of snow covering the ground & car, as we are out of the house by 7:40. By the time I have run back and forth to the car three times it is 7:45. It only takes 5 minutes to get to the childminders, (not speeding – believe it or not!) 6 minutes to unload and 3 minutes to get to work (now speeding!) but I roll in at 7:59. One minute early! I probably didn’t need to speed!

Thankfully we have a kitchen at work (you may have not noticed I didn’t have any breakfast!) so I can catch up with myself by making a pit stop there for a cup of tea…sip…ahhh (weary sigh) Starting to feel better already! While the computer is waking up I can sit looking out my window (which I might add has an amazing view!) supping away at my tea. A little while later I finish my tea then realize the computer has been waiting for a password. Whoops…I type it in and head off to get another cup of tea.

The rest of my day is fairly peaceful. I’m far more organised at work than at home everything has its place and is up-to-date. Well it should be otherwise I would get the sack!

It’s at 4:30 when the chaos starts again…that’s when I collect the girls from the childminders and cover another six trips back and forth to the car. Normally I would shut the front door of the house and breathe a sigh of relief that we don’t have to go out again until morning! But alas there’s no peace tonight as I have been volunteered for the census delivery night.

We have to deliver a census form to every house in Stanley (Guestimate 900-1,000 dwellings – And you thought Stanley was a small town!). I think I cheered a few people up when they opened their door to a fluorescent yellow coat, grey woolly cap with dog ears, bright red face and a sprinkling of snow over my shoulders and arms. A few cheeky buggers had the gall to say “Nice night isn’t it!” – I grit my teeth and bare a smile then turn and mumble to myself as I head back down the path “Nice night! – Yeah if your sitting in your nice warm house, on your nice comfy sofa, watching your bloody boring soaps!!”…“Oh how I want to watch a bloody boring soap right now!!”

I finish my delegated area by 8:15 and head back to base where I am told the other didn’t finish and could I come back tomorrow “NO F***KING WAY!” That’s what I should have said but instead it was “Yeah No Worries!” What an idiot! I pick the kids up from Nanny’s house and get them home to bed by 9:00 (I hope they are not too tired tomorrow!) It’s 10:00 now and my bed is looking mighty comfortable so I will tell you tomorrow how “Census Delivery Round 2” goes!

Why do we hate Mondays? – Well there’s a good start.

* I shouldn’t be so harsh - It’s not the clocks fault I don’t trust myself to wake up even to the soothing sounds of FM Radio!

** We don’t have a dining table (or dining room for that matter) in our house yet – It’s on the “to do” list. The girls sit at a small plastic table with plastic chairs. We used to have two, but Dan managed to break the leg off one when he kicked it across the room after it got in his way. A few toys have been lost this way…”Death by boot!” I understand though - there’s nothing worse than standing on a sharp bloody toy, that has been left out, when you least expect it!

***There’s no point dressing the children before breakfast, especially Becky, they get covered in what ever you give them and I would only have to change them again!

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online