Sunday, September 24, 2006

Becky’s Birthday – The Preparation

It’s Sunday and one day before our second baby Becky’s second birthday – Hah! Try saying that six times in quick succession.

I managed to stay in bed until 8:15 today, although (ironically) was awake at 7:15 wondering if I should get up before I’m forced to. It was 7:30 when I realized they weren’t going to stir for a while longer so grabbed my book “The Time Travelers Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger* and read for the next 45 minutes. There was no point trying to go back to sleep as I always feel worse waking up a second time. It was nice just relaxing for a while and waking up slow for once!

The girls did get up at 8:00 but helped themselves to the television and, as I was to discover later, the tin of biscuits I left on the kitchen bench (They were quiet so it didn’t bother me at the time). I suppose it’s my own fault as I have always encouraged the girls to be more independent - it makes my life a little easier. Katie wants to do everything by herself now including stealing biscuits, crisps and anything else she’s not supposed to, while mum isn’t watching. She’s like a young female Robin Hood, taking from the witch and giving to the poor smaller siblings. She has been caught a couple of times, although is quite sharp and says “But Mum…Becky was hungry!”

By 11:00 I finally decide I may have left it too late to make the cake…so start immediately and hope I haven’t! All goes smoothly until two keen little helpers turn up and I realize they are only interested in eating the cake mix rather than helping. (They must get it from their father, he’s always hanging off my shoulder when I bake cakes making sure, I use a spoon rather than a spatula so, there’s plenty of mix left in the bowl). They conveniently forget the biscuit theft this morning, but when I see their earnest little faces, swiftly hand them the bowl, wooden spoon and spatula (Dan’s not here so I had started scrapping the bowl – Can’t waste good cake mix!)

By 4:30 I have the cake made and iced – Good or what!? Ok it’s not very special, but the girls recognised the character, which is encouraging! The only problem I have now is finding the kitchen bench…I know it’s under here somewhere! I, and most of my family, believe I’m the messiest cook in the world. In my defence I have four different colours of icing on that cake so I had to use four bowls, four knives and two icing guns – OK it was a little OTT I suppose!

The rest of the afternoon/evening is taken up with domestic chores – JOY!! One key moment though was walking into the girls’ room to see Chelsea (the cat) harassing Katie for cuddles, while she is watching television.** (This is very unlike Chelsea she isn’t the most social cat in the world, coincidently making her appearance of the day at dinner time!) So I walk over and give her a pat while saying “You’re a big softy...aren’t you?” to which Katie swiftly replies “I’m a big softy too!” It was the big cheesy grin on her face afterwards that made me laugh out loud otherwise I would have just smiled and patted her on the head.

Finally once the girls all go to bed (and eventually go to sleep!) I get the present out of its hiding place (my wardrobe***) wrap it and position it on the coffee table for Becky to see in the morning. Yawn…time for bed I think - hoping I will achieve a good nights’ sleep…TTFN (There’s a hint to what character is on the cake?)

* Now you know where the name for the blog came from. I’m only half way through the book, but would definitely recommend reading it.

** I don’t always let the girls watch television. It’s freezing outside and I needed to get the Birthday Cake made. Normally I would suggest they play with toys, read books or go outside.

*** Why do parents hide presents in the most obvious places!! You would think we would know better, having been children once and finding our Christmas/Birthday presents in the same area.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online