Saturday, December 15, 2007

School Placement

I have decided to put the last two weeks of my school placement into one poetic blog, although don’t expect beautiful, inspirational poetry from me – I can only do the stuff that rhymes, and even that is questionable at times

I am so awash with excitement I am finding it hard to put the whole experience into words, but here goes…

Week 1

The alarm goes off, I leap from bed.
“Come on girls, hurry up” I said
Its school today, I’ve got to go
But still the girls eat their coco pops slow!
Soon we’re off, and out the door,
Becky can’t keep up anymore,
On the pram, she’s pleased to rest,
My muscles though, curse the test,

Once dropped off, I skip and hop,
All the way to the bus stop,
Just in time phew! Wipe my brow,
Just can’t wait to get there now,
Enter the door, nerves set in,
But pass it off with a big grin,
Down to class, to find the teacher,
A friendly welcome, I’m pleased to met her,

Just enough time to talk,
Before kids arrive, in they walk,
Most are stunned to see me here,
I hope they do not sense my fear,
A year six class, of ten year olds,
I hug the radiator, though I’m not cold,
Quiet is ordered, to introduce me,
I feel on show, for all to see,

They take it well, and class begins,
I shake off stares, with nervous grins,
Reading first, I’m quite amazed,
At how well they deliver each page,
Assembly next, line at the door,
Walk together, down corridors,
Classes stay back and teachers leave,
A bit more time for me to breathe,

Not long though, and back they parade,
After the school rock ‘n’ roll band played,
They’re quite excitable after that,
But go quiet when they hear “Math”,
Fractions into percentages,
Oh god I think, can I remember this?
Thankfully though it comes flooding in,
And help children that are struggling,

Soon its lunch, hasn’t time flown,
Then I realize I haven’t brought my own,
So off I pop to the shops,
For a sandwich, and some chocs,
A cup of tea I get real soon,
As I enter into the staff room,
Again more stares, and nervous grins,
To be invisible now I’d give anything,

Back to class, at a trot,
What was next, I have forgot,
Wood and glue spread across the desks,
Reminds me quickly of bridge building tests,
Some grand designs and audacious drawings,
Soon cause despair when it comes to sawing,
Traffic lights are quickly found,
But the structure’s not off the ground!

Time is up, clean and put away,
Some bridges finished, others in disarray,
Some children have gluey hair,
Others sticky tape on chairs,
They grab their coats and wave goodbye,
The chaos over and I’ve survived,
So after thanks for a great time,
I go home happy and have a wine.

Week 2

The alarm goes off, I leap from bed.
“Come on girls, hurry up” I said
Another day at school today,
But still they moan and yawn away,
We’re off again and out the gate,
And not surprising Becky flakes,
On the pram, she gets again,
My muscles ache from last week’s pain!

The bus is late today, a shame,
My frantic running was in vain,
But off to school I go at last,
I can’t wait now to see the class,
No nerves this time, I’m keen and bold,
Its Christmas activities, I’ve been told,
The school split into fourteen groups,
And set off around the school like troops,

Santa puppets, carol singing,
That is just the beginning
Toy trains, sleighs, drama class,
Plastic windows, stained glass,
Christmas cards and poetry,
More hand puppets look like trees,
Decorations glitter and curl,
Food at Christmas around the world,

So much to do, the day goes fast,
Before I know it’s the end of class,
Thanks again I manage to squeak,
Roll on Wednesday next week!

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online