Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More Bus Antics

Buttercup, Daisy and more cow sounding named buses.

It’s proving quite a hobby of mine now, keeping my nose pinned against the glass of the bus window*, searching out yet more objects of interests and humour. After our English in Education class on Wednesday (this is the second part of the Education and Teaching module, which I’m still awaiting the results for, but my last two assignments have given me a B, so fingers crossed!) my searching has been heightened by prompting of the tutor, to attempt finding spelling and grammatical errors on signs and buildings. I’m not saying my grammar and spelling is fantastic (in fact it’s far from it after an average result on a quick test by the tutor), but if you are searching for errors they become glaringly obvious (So don’t read this too intently). Sometimes you don’t even find signs with errors, just other humorous signs, for example:

“Sophie’s Restaurant – Probably the best choice”

Why you would willingly put the word ‘probably’ on your sign is beyond me? It doesn’t leave a good indication to potential customers now does it? I mean imagine if Barclays Bank put “Probably won’t rip you off” on their sign, or the Gosport ferries had “Probably won’t sink on the crossing”. I could go on, but I think I’ve made my point.

Some people go for completely simple signs like;

“Mr Cheap – Is the cheapest”

Surely that’s obvious or do people really think Mr cheap is the most expensive?

One last sign that caught my eye on this particular day was “Phoenix Furniture - Hot Sale on now!” My mind blasts into supersonic thought, as I conjure up images of sofas, tables and beds all tagged with a label saying “Highly Flammable”. Maybe my imagination is taking off on its own little psychological fantasy, but I will have to investigate further one day.

I’ve decided this sport of sign spotting and bus antics could be evolved, and am now contemplating a few games during my ferry crossing in the mornings. I will however be parked next to a life jacket after scaring myself with that last comment above!

*This is particularly difficult for me; since my nose almost extends further than a USB stick…yes I’ve measured it! Looking into the mirror nowadays I’m convinced my poor nose has a serious lean to the left. It’s probably when the netball my friend and I were playing with was smashed into my face (accidentally) years ago, but isn’t being assisted by my constant bus window faces.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online