Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Indesick

A car speeds through the streets of Gosport and screeches to a halt outside Fig tree cottage. The man grabs his case and rushes to the door, which is already open for his arrival. He is guided to the kitchen and places the case on the table; then turns and kneels down in front of his patient. “What’s the story” he says calmly as he looks up at me. “Well” I say nervously “she has been making terrible noises lately”
“I see” he replies grimly as he turns back to his patient and begins examining her “How old is she?” he asks
“About six”
A few minutes later he sighs and says “I’m afraid there is nothing I can do”
“Oh!” I gasp
“Yes I’m sorry – Is there someone I can call for you?”
“Umm yes of course, here” I say as I hand him a piece of paper with a name and number on it.
“Ok I will be in touch soon”
He gathers his things, bids me farewell and I close the door behind him then move back into the kitchen. I place my hand on top of her head and say “Sorry dear – But you’ve had a pretty good life for a washing machine”

The next day...

“Hey kids wake up – I’ve something really exciting to do today!” I exclaim as I open the bedroom curtains.
“What is it mummy?” A little voice croaks as she wipes the sleep from her eyes.
“Come with me and I’ll show you – But you will need to put your shorts on first…oh and no socks!” I reply.
They are still rubbing their eyes as I lead them into the bathroom.
“Right - You guys can stomp the dirt out of the clothes in the bath while I scrub the stains off with soap!” I say merrily.

Yep…we are reduced to child labour, until our washing machine is either fixed or replaced. I figured since they are generating the majority of the clothes they can clean them – It’s fair isn’t it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Only six years? I just squeezed 18 years out of mine. (It's birthdate was inside.) It's had pumps and brushes, water valves, seals and belts but this time I was beaten. The symptoms were the same as yours, evil groans and screams. I obtained the bearing kit and started surgery one saturday morning. I opened up and prepared to take off the back of the drum but 18 years of corrosion had reduced the aluminium casting to the consistency of a digestive biscuit. It was an open and shut case, this was terminal cancer. I don't think my new machine will last 18 years.
Dr. TC

Time Travelers Wife said...

I have played with washing machines before and it only ends up in me soaked standing in water up to my ankles - So I stay well away now and plead blonde woman ignorance. :-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online