Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Are you coming to the Falkland Islands?



Will you be travelling Economy or



FIRST CLASS!!

OK – So you don’t actually get the second choice but it looked good and now that I have your attention I would like to welcome you to the Falkland Islands.

It’s not a bad little place – A lot of people complain about the wind, but having lived here all my life (25 years) I have to say you don’t really notice it. I notice the calmer days more, as they are less frequent and my hair doesn’t look like I’ve been dragged through a hedge backwards…six times! Although it’s probably my own fault for having long hair in a windy location – kind of asking for trouble really!

Yes…it is true there are more sheep than people, but luckily they are daft and haven’t worked out how to form an army yet!

The wildlife is great – they will stand around for ages for you. Right up until you get your camera out…then there gone! – I think they are camera shy or maybe I’m just too slow? – The first doesn’t make me look bad so we’ll go with that!

Other key features are…

Land Rover advertising location! – Fairly sure there are more Land Rovers here than anywhere else – Mitsubishi Shoguns are a close second. Yes we do need fuel guzzling 4 x 4’s as we only have one half asphalted roads out of town all the others are crushed rock. Fair enough in and around town is all asphalt and crumbling concrete, so if you are staying in town then a little car would be fine, but generally everyone owns at least one 4 x 4.

The strangest site down here is the newest arrivals…a Double Decker Bus (like the tour buses in London) and a stretched Limousine! Don’t ask me what the owners were smoking when they ordered them!?

It’s a far cry from the “old days” when there were no roads and transport was in the form of a horse and sheepskin saddle, but I will go into another time!

So on that cliff hanger I will depart…good night….one sheep…..two sheep…….three sheep…………..four…..sheee…

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online