Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Christmas – A Survivors Story

Sunday 24th December 11:45pm – It’s quiet…too quiet – are they asleep? Or just pretending to be asleep? Should I try and sneak in to the room and check or would I risk waking them if they are actually asleep! It’s not far now between me and my goal, I can see it in the dim light off the Christmas tree - just a few more steps and it would be mine! Slowly and quietly I tip-toe across the room, all-the-while listening intently – at last I’m there standing over my target.

A quick glance over my shoulder and a few more seconds of listening and I take my chance - I lean down and grab my prize and quickly, but quietly, scuttle off out of sight of the door and into the next room. As I lean back against the wall and sigh with relief I whisper softly “I did it!” and eye the items before me…

So where do I start…the mince pie, the beer or the carrot and water left out for Rudolph?

Munch, gurgle crunch – It’s not so bad being Santa!

Congratulations on another year of successfully stealing Santa’s treat! I think to myself as I slurp the last of the beer down.


Monday 25th December 8:00am – I wake with a start! “Who’s there?” The middle one has strayed from her den and is heading for my hideout – maybe she won’t see me? Or I’ll lye really still and she may think I’m dead and go away – It works for a bear doesn’t it?

I peer through the covers…she’s gone - It worked! I roll over onto my back and take a deep breath – just then…”Mum I want Breakfast!” AHHH!! She has wandered around the other side of the bed and is now standing there starring at me with those beady little eyes – “Ok dear” I say cautiously patting her on the head.

As I get up I can hear the others stirring in the next room – “Ok here we go!” I think to myself…Big grin…like you mean it and…”MERRY CHRISTMAS GIRLS!”

Katie runs through into the lounge and immediately notices a huge present under the tree “Waow!” I believe to be her exact words were drowned by the “MUM I want breakfast!” of Becky who just wanted some food and couldn’t care less about the presents even though the big one was for her.

I managed to convince Becky she should open some presents before breakfast – It’s not like there are a pile of presents sitting waiting to be opened everyday now is there? She agrees and is soon sitting on the floor next to Katie, surrounded by presents.

Katie can’t wait and is ripping into hers before the whistle has gone and more to the point before I can read the tags and see who they are from! Becky on the other hand didn’t seem bothered about ripping the paper off. Again with some coxing, she dug her fingers in and began the painstakingly slow process of opening her presents. Katie ‘the whirlwind’ had now finished ripping the paper off hers and decided to help Sarah in the same manner. After two minutes of flying paper, boxes and hyperactive happy children the carnage was finally over – I’ve done it…survived Christmas! Now I can relax and enjoy the holidays with the girls – We have a lot of toys to investigate…”So which My little Pony is this girls?”

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so this is how I think it went

First the mince pie then the beer finally the carrot but the question is where did it go??

Still having fun Marie???

When is the little shit back or do you want him back???


The taxi driver

Time Travelers Wife said...

Hi Taxi Driver - although I'll apologise now as I have no idea who you are - normally too drunk by that stage of an evening - did I pay or am I still bumming money off people!

Dan (I think that's his name?) is back next week possibly? I have a sign all ready for arrival at the airport..."Wanted Dad & Husband or Dan Loveridge will do!"

Looking forward to his return - Won't have to pay for a babysitter!

blogger templates | Make Money Online