Friday, March 27, 2009

Forget air miles...I want to claim Land Miles!

My arse has barely left the driving seat of the Ford Mondeo these last few weeks* – Not because I’m a lazy shit, but because I’ve been travelling all over the country to check out possible Universities for September.

Three weeks ago I drove 266 miles to and from Canterbury Christ Church University for an Open Day. Two weeks ago I drove 146 miles to and from Oxford Brookes for a Visit Day, and last week I drove 240 miles back to Kent to visit Kent University for another Open day. I could at this point bore you to tears about the ins and outs of the trips, but it really wasn’t that exciting and I have forgotten most of the conversions with myself (and one sided conversations with other motorists), the car and the radio. Plus I didn’t get lost once, which really surprised me!

I still have two more Universities to visit, Portsmouth and Brighton. The later I’m not really bothered with, after a rather horrific day in the City (which can be backed up by Mum); I’m not sure why I choose it at all really? I am however looking forward to visiting Portsmouth as it turns out a friend from college is doing the same course and we have a good laugh normally so that could be fun.

Meanwhile the college have been bombarding me (and the rest of the students of course) with exams and coursework. Last week I had to content with a Chemistry exam on everything we had (supposedly) learned over the last two terms, this being enthalpy, order of reactions, Equilibrium, bonding, and calculating the number of moles in a compound and solution just to name a few. I managed to pass with 53%, which is apparently a high C...go figure? Not that I should be complaining since it helped me pass. The tutor commented on my paper saying he was expecting a higher grade. I felt a quite disappointed at myself at that point until he said “You answered all the harder questions correct, but got the easier ones wrong!” I wasn’t disappointed anymore, just kicking myself for stupid mistakes! (Mental note – never correct your first instinct answers as they will most likely be correct!)

This week I have been creating a model of a DNA strand in the thought that I would be presenting it to the class in an assessed oral exam. It turns out they just get a piece of paper and mark you on what they think – this could have proved a problem for me as I just scribbled notes for the speech on the board and didn’t take it too seriously: for instance I drew a picture of a pair of Jeans to represent Genes, an arrow pointing to the plinth holding the model saying “Wood” and a small note at the bottom of the page saying “Don’t forget – Easter holidays 3rd -17th April”. The class found it amusing but I’m not sure what the tutor will make of it?

And that’s about it in a nutshell so far...no doubt there will be humorous bus antics to follow after the Portsmouth university visit day – I actually miss that now I can drive to college

*And it’s beginning to show having split my pants while bending over to put some cookies in the oven the other night!!

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online